You should always expect the unexpected with me. I mean, I’m a mom. I’m all over the place. I never know which way is up. I change my mind on everything. All the time.
One of the biggest flip-flops I do is between working out at home and working out at the gym.
I mean, I LOVE the gym. I love having access to all the equipment. I (sometimes) love using the mirrors to check my form and my butt(because glutes obvs).
I even love the inspiration of having other people work out around me. It’s like going to a dance party, it doesn’t matter if you a good or bad dancer, you want to get in there and DANCE.
But it’s not always feasible for a mom ( or anyone for that matter ) to get to the gym. Memberships can be expensive, childcare hours are always lame, and well, life is unpredictable!
I go in stages of working out at the gym, and then back home, and it’s been about 6 months now that I’ve been working out exclusively at home and let me tell you. I’m in the groove. I LOVE my home workouts.
The simplicity has me hooked. And I want you to get into it too! So I’ve compiled a list. I like lists. That’s something else you should know about me. I’m a list person.
Now before I get off track again, here it is!
The top 10 reasons working out at home is WAY better than working out at the gym
- Your home holds just the right open hours. – You can workout anytime you want. Early morning, late at night. Half your workout at naptime and the other half at bedtime. I mean, no rules! Some have restrictive hours. And even the ones with great hours, you still have to get up and go to. Which brings me to #2.
- You don’t have to go anywhere! – I mean, I know this is obvious. But seriously, you don’t have to put your kids in the car, or find your keys or headphones, or pack a little bag with shoes and fresh panties in it. And when you don’t leave the house..
- You don’t have to get dressed. – You don’t even have to put on a bra. Or pants. You can workout in your PJ’s. I do it all the time. You can workout in a party dress. You can workout in your wedding dress. Nobody’s business. Speaking of nobody’s business..
- You can try new things and look dumb. – Because nobody’s looking. You can test out a new yoga pose, or a new lift. You can learn in a judgement free environment. Not that I really believe anyone at the gym is judging you, I really think every one there is too busy judging themselves, but that convo is for a different day. Fact is, nobody’s looking at your when you’re in your own house, and that means sweet freedom to be weird.
- You don’t have to wait for equipment. – Yet another benefit to having no one around. At the gym you can get stuck in line behind someone using your fav set of weights, or piece of equipment. Never happens at home. Sure you have less to choose from, but you never have to fight anyone for it.
- No childcare needed. – This is the biggest one for me and moms everywhere. Childcare is expensive. And the hours always suck. And you have to book in advance, which means you would actually have to get to the gym at a certain time. Can you get your preschoolers to any place at any particular time? If you do, you deserve an award. A very big one.
- It takes WAY less time. – Once you take out the driving, the dressing, the kids and the dropping off, all you’re left with is the workout itself. I firmly believe that a workout should take no more than 30 minutes. Oh the time you will save working out in your PJs in your living room with your kids. What are you going to do with all your free time?? ha!
- You can multitask. – You can watch your favourite series on Netflix. You can listen to a killer podcast. You can workout while dinner is in the oven. While your kids do a craft. I mean, the possibilities are endless.
- No comparison. & No competition except with yourself. – As much as I don’t like to admit it, gyms can also create an environment of comparison. Which is just not something us mamas need on top of all the other shit we have going on. The only person who compete with is yourself. Just to be better than yesterday.
- It’s FREE! – It doesn’t cost any money. Even if you do spend money on new equipment, it’s an investment.
You are building your library of exercise possibilities. If you spent the same dollar amount on equipment that you have on gym memberships, I’m pretty sure we would all have a killer home gym by now!
If you aren’t convinced after all that, I don’t what will do it!
At the end of the day, any work out you can get in is a good one! And that’s why I really love the freedom of a home workout. If I get it done, YAY! GO ME! If I don’t, no worries, I’ll try again tomorrow. When I’m signed up for a gym membership, registered in classes or even booking time for my kids in the gym day care, I feel like I’m letting someone down if I don’t go for workout. Like I’m missing out on something, like I’m wasting money.
I am just SO not into feeling like that. I do not want any vibes like around my workouts either. I want only positivity around my workouts. No guilt, no stress.
I work out at home right now, and maybe in the future I’ll spend more time in the gym. But what never changes, is that I always follow a program.
Find something that works for you, that you can manage and that you actually want to do. Make sure you grab a spot on my email list and I will keep you posted on all the new things coming to this amazing #MomUnity in the next couple of months!